I have two options. One is a hispanic community at a worship service place on Kedzie or an African American family on the westside of chicago. Hopefully by sunday, I will have a solid report to present because I need to visit the hispanic church to find out if there is an English section. I dont want language to be a barrier for me not to enjoy my project :) I just have passion for culture and I think i will have fun learning other cultures. woohoo!
This week, I went to MeeNari's which is a Korean restaraunt. Going there, I was kind oif lost, because I did not know what to expect, not to mention the foreign language the menu was in. I ended up getting Bin Bop, which is rice with hot sauce an egg, some meat, and various veggies herbs and spices. It was divine. When she gave me the meal,I could only stare at it. It was pretty! I did not know where to start. The waitress was very nice, and stirred it all up for me, and my goodness it was good. I may have to go again!
I forgot to add, they served us tea at the very beginning. I also went to the Art Institute to look at some Korean sculptures which were very interesting.
Me and Gordon went to MeeNari's restaurant which is a Korean restaurant that Gordon has mentioned ealier. I told Gordon if he wanted to go with me and felt like he was lost to where this particular restaurant is located. When we went inside, it looked like we were at Korea. It was also full of newspapers on the side of the restaurants. The waitress was very nice to us. I ordered this dish called the "Tofu Float Soup." In Korean it is called "Soon Doo Boo." It reminded me of Hot and Sour Soup, but this dish had alot of tofu and squid. I am a huge seafood fan. The waitress told Gordon that Korean food is supposed to be very healthy for you! My meal was very delicious!
Then the next day, me and Gordon went to the Art Institute and took pictures of the Korean sculptures, it was a small section room, but it was well worth the trip!
I was at a wedding this weekend and seeing how cretin people want to celebrate their wedding is an absolutely fascinating thing. This is the third wedding that I have been to in the last two years and each one has been so different. This wedding was a very polish wedding. The church ceremony was absolutely great and the priest was very much into the bride and groom having children. It was kinda funny. Then the reception was very small, only about 90 people, and it was just to say thank you for coming and thanks for celebrating with us. The whole thing was done on a budget and it was a beautiful wedding.
The second thing that I observed was the culture of a suburb/county family. I have a friend who lives in Wisconsin and although she herself does not live on a farm you can go one mile in any direction and find one. It is really interesting to see what she values and what she wants to go and do versus what m family likes to do. M family loves food. But her family would love to go outside and take a walk and spend a little less time on the dinner aspect. Its just really fun to compare the differences.
One other thing that I also observed is the similarities of different Asian groups. Since I am Filipino and come from that background, I realized one particular similarity between Koreans and Filipinos. Going to a particular place full of Koreans or Filipinos made me realized that they show respect to other guests and when something is offered (even for the little things), you must accept and appreciate them and not refused even if you don't like the particular item. It's interesting to know that they show that kind of value.
I have two options.
ReplyDeleteOne is a hispanic community at a worship service place on Kedzie or an African American family on the westside of chicago. Hopefully by sunday, I will have a solid report to present because I need to visit the hispanic church to find out if there is an English section. I dont want language to be a barrier for me not to enjoy my project :) I just have passion for culture and I think i will have fun learning other cultures. woohoo!
This week, I went to MeeNari's which is a Korean restaraunt. Going there, I was kind oif lost, because I did not know what to expect, not to mention the foreign language the menu was in. I ended up getting Bin Bop, which is rice with hot sauce an egg, some meat, and various veggies herbs and spices. It was divine. When she gave me the meal,I could only stare at it. It was pretty! I did not know where to start. The waitress was very nice, and stirred it all up for me, and my goodness it was good. I may have to go again!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to add, they served us tea at the very beginning. I also went to the Art Institute to look at some Korean sculptures which were very interesting.
ReplyDeleteMe and Gordon went to MeeNari's restaurant which is a Korean restaurant that Gordon has mentioned ealier. I told Gordon if he wanted to go with me and felt like he was lost to where this particular restaurant is located. When we went inside, it looked like we were at Korea. It was also full of newspapers on the side of the restaurants. The waitress was very nice to us. I ordered this dish called the "Tofu Float Soup." In Korean it is called "Soon Doo Boo." It reminded me of Hot and Sour Soup, but this dish had alot of tofu and squid. I am a huge seafood fan. The waitress told Gordon that Korean food is supposed to be very healthy for you! My meal was very delicious!
ReplyDeleteThen the next day, me and Gordon went to the Art Institute and took pictures of the Korean sculptures, it was a small section room, but it was well worth the trip!
-Nicole Tuquilar
I was at a wedding this weekend and seeing how cretin people want to celebrate their wedding is an absolutely fascinating thing. This is the third wedding that I have been to in the last two years and each one has been so different. This wedding was a very polish wedding. The church ceremony was absolutely great and the priest was very much into the bride and groom having children. It was kinda funny. Then the reception was very small, only about 90 people, and it was just to say thank you for coming and thanks for celebrating with us. The whole thing was done on a budget and it was a beautiful wedding.
ReplyDeleteThe second thing that I observed was the culture of a suburb/county family. I have a friend who lives in Wisconsin and although she herself does not live on a farm you can go one mile in any direction and find one. It is really interesting to see what she values and what she wants to go and do versus what m family likes to do. M family loves food. But her family would love to go outside and take a walk and spend a little less time on the dinner aspect. Its just really fun to compare the differences.
One other thing that I also observed is the similarities of different Asian groups. Since I am Filipino and come from that background, I realized one particular similarity between Koreans and Filipinos. Going to a particular place full of Koreans or Filipinos made me realized that they show respect to other guests and when something is offered (even for the little things), you must accept and appreciate them and not refused even if you don't like the particular item. It's interesting to know that they show that kind of value.
ReplyDelete-Nicole Tuquilar